OpenNews invites you to celebrate this community that sustains one another.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who came together for a little bit of celebration and a little bit of restoration at the end of such a hard year. It’s so good to just be in each other’s company, and from the very beginnings of this event, you showed up to share your joy, sadness, power, possibility, and love. You created a space to party, relax, and reflect.
YOU are the community of people who lead and sustain this work. To those who could join us this time, and to those we’ll hope to see next time, there’s nowhere we’d rather be than hanging out together.
Thursday, December 17, 2020, online
Sessions at SRCCON:❤️ are super casual with lots of ways to participate, from jumping into conversations about things you love to sitting back and watching other folks show you how to do something cool. We want them to be a refreshing chance to connect. Community members are hosting informal sessions on:
- Cooking (with a pickling demo!)
- Books and reading lists
- Nature in your own back yard (gardening, bird feeders, and more)
- Getting out into the great outdoors (on location!)
- Making art together (with mini workshops on a few different things)
- Making a practice of intentional connection with others
- Parenting and family life during quarantine
- What we’re leaving behind in 2020 + what we’re building on in 2021
Tickets for SRCCON:❤️ are free for OpenNews sustainers, or name your own price. If you aren’t a sustainer, we’d love for you to become one—and if you aren’t able to sign up at this time, five community members have pledged to support new sustainers in joining. Reach out to us and we’ll take care of the rest.
↪ Find out more about becoming an OpenNews sustainer, the incredible group of supporters who have made a recurring donation to this work.
This event is a moment for rest, in recognition of the year we’ve been through, what we’ve learned about ourselves and about being there for each other. A little community retreat! With snacks and drinks (and maybe even crafts?) encouraged! At SRCCON:❤️ you’ll:
- find small groups to laugh and talk with about hobbies, arts, and other things that sustain you outside of work, plus join everyone in sharing some shine for the people who keep inspiring us
- reconnect with old friends and run into new ones, strengthening the personal relationships that knit together a network that’s reimagining journalism
- bring who you are into an event designed to celebrate all of it, along with everyone ready to take on 2021 alongside you
SRCCON events are produced by OpenNews. We connect a network of developers, designers, journalists, and editors to collaborate on open technologies and processes within journalism. OpenNews believes that a community of peers working, learning and solving problems together can create a stronger, more responsive, and inclusive journalism ecosystem. Incubated at the Mozilla Foundation from 2011-2016, OpenNews is now a project of Community Partners.